Monday, August 22, 2011

6 July to 12 July 2011 – Week 3: The wheels are totally gone!

Ok, this week has definitely been the worst so far. I never realized how much these changes to my diet would affect my mood (not to mention the cold showers). I was getting depressed, in my view from not having chocolate for 3 weeks. So I relented and ate a whole package of the stuff by myself – at least it was Rittersport, a relatively local producer (Stuttgart), which makes organic chocolate and uses renewable power in their manufacturing. Unfortunately, the mood-enhancing benefits of the chocolate were destroyed by the bitter taste of guilt that arose as a result of breaking the experiment rules.

I am also having fewer showers than before, because I really can’t stand any more cold showers. I do have hot showers now, but maybe only 3 times a week, at the expense of my personal hygiene. The trade-off is well worth it!

Things really went bad when a friend from Australia visited for a few days this week. I felt that it would have been remiss of me not to treat him to the finest of German cuisine whilst he was in town – the Schweinhaxn. For those not in the know, this dish is probably one of the most anti-vegetarian things on the menu. It consists of about half a pig, roasted with lots of crispy crackling. It’s probably best not to eat one without someone trained in CPR nearby, in case your heart stops halfway through. Of course, I couldn’t let him eat one alone. So I ate my first piece of meat since the Brazilian/Thai fish in week 1! I would be lying if I said it wasn’t sinfully delicious. Ah well, at least the beer was local.

No comments:

Post a Comment