Monday, August 22, 2011

29 June to 5 June 2011 - Week 2: The wheels are beginning to fall off…

Things are getting pretty bad in the second week. I really can’t stand the cold showers any more. One day this week I came home from swimming laps at the outdoor (ie freezing) pool in Freiburg and was very cold – I really wanted a hot shower and turned on the hot tap. However, some cosmic force must have realized that I was breaking the rules, as there was no hot water left! My conscience was saved for another day.

I never thought this would be possible, but I am also getting sick of eating berries every day - berries being the only locally grown fruit available. I really miss being able to crunch down on an apple. I tried substituting apples with tomatoes, but it’s just not the same.

This might just be my imagination, but I’m starting to feel weak from lack of meat. I haven’t really been eating any protein, with lentils and beans off the menu! I feel that I can’t do as much exercise as I was doing, and have noticed that some of the other guys doing the experiment are getting sick – coughing and spluttering all day in class. I can’t prove it, but I suspect it is because of the privation caused by the experiment!

The other day someone in class told me that shipping apples from New Zealand to Freiburg causes fewer GHG emissions than transporting apples from Lake Constance by truck. I haven’t bothered to check the accuracy of this seemingly dodgy carbon accounting, but I am using it to justify eating beans and lentils again – not to mention rice. I figure they are either dried or come in cans, and therefore are probably shipped in to Germany with minimal emissions (I hope!) – anyways I’m eating them again.

I’m still using Luis’ soap, although it is not so great as a shampoo. Many people have asked me why my (shoulder length) hair is always wet, only to be horrified when I tell them that it just looks wet because there is so much grease in it – in fact it can pretty much stand up by itself now!

No comments:

Post a Comment